Confirmed Liverpool Line-up V Southampton – Technically gifted attacker to start
Competition: EFL Cup
Venue: St. Mary
Referee: Neil Swarbrick
Assistants:Simon Bennett and Scott Ledger
Fourth official:Graham Scott
Liverpool’s Premier League record: P20 – W13 – D5 – L2
Southampton’s Premier League record: P20 – W6 – D6 – L8
Liverpool’s Recent form (All competitions): W-W-W-D-D
Southampton’s Recent form (All competitions): W-L-L-L-D
Claudio Puel: “We played Liverpool in the Premier League and it was a strong game for us with organisation. We played strong and were strong in defence. We played at a good level but it will be important for this game to have more of the ball and try and have control of the game. Their ability to control the ball along with good pressing, with technical players, is exciting. We want to exploit them. The players are ready for the game. It is an exciting challenge for us. The Premier League game was strong, there are many games in January, different possibilities. This game is important and I think my players are ready for the game.” via the Mirror.
Jurgen Klopp: “Wednesday will see the best team we can line up. If you ask for a rating in England the League Cup is third but while you are still in it it is the most important cup. If you win and it is wonderful with the youngest line-up ever. After the game it is the easiest job for you to ask ‘Why did you make all these changes?’. The question I asked this morning in the dressing room was ‘Could we have done better? 100 per cent yes with this line-up. I don’t expect perfection but I have high expectations because I see them every day in training and I was convinced we could play really well.” via the Liverpool Echo
Confirmed Liverpool Line-up:
Injured: Grujic (knee), Matip (ankle), Bogdan, Ings (both knee), J Henderson (Heel Injury),
Confirmed Southampton Line-Up:
Injured: C Martina (Illness), S Boufal (Knee Injury), C Soares (Head Injury), C Austin (Shoulder Injury), A McCarthy (Hamstring Injury)
- This will be the eighth occasion Southampton have faced Liverpool in the EFL Cup; against no side have they played more in the competition (also Arsenal).
- Liverpool have eliminated Southampton in four of their last five EFL Cup ties.
- Saints have reached this stage of the League Cup for the third time in their history and first time since 1986/87, when they met Liverpool. The only occasion they progressed to the final was in 1978/79, although they eventually lost to Nottingham Forest.
- This will be Liverpool’s 17th appearance in the League Cup semi-finals; the most of any side in the competition’s history. They’ve progressed to the final in five of their last six semi-final appearances.
- Southampton and Liverpool have kept three clean sheets so far this season; the joint-most in the League Cup alongside Newcastle.
- Liverpool have scored more goals than any other side in this season’s League Cup (12); their highest goal tally in the competition since the 2011/12 edition (14).
- Daniel Sturridge is this season’s top-scorer in the League Cup (4), netting a brace against Burton in Round 2 and also versus Spurs in Round 4.
- Jurgen Klopp has won seven of his nine League Cup games in charge of Liverpool (D1 L1), and has reached the semi-final for the second time in as many seasons.
- Saints have won six of their last seven League Cup games against sides from the same division; their only defeat coming against Liverpool in last season’s quarter-final (1-6).
- Only Aston Villa (467) have scored more goals in League Cup history than Liverpool (466).